Tuesday 13 March 2012

Away Day Review - Cappielow Park, Greenock Morton FC.

I won’t lie, I was close to giving up on this away day review column as it was beginning to look like a bit of a jinx – 3 reviews, 3 defeats. I’d decided that a defeat at Cappielow would put the kybosh on the idea – the fact you’re reading this now though is a good sign!

So, a trip to Greenock isn’t exactly the highlight of the fixture calendar but given the fact Morton were on the end of a 5-0 defeat the week earlier, I was optimistic that we had what was needed to go there and get a result.

We got off the bus right at the ground and jumped into the nearest public house for a swift pre-match beverage. A quick look around the surrounding area and I think there’s a high chance that when pop-star Rihanna sang those lyrics ‘We found love in a hopeless place’, she was hinting that she’d met a boy from Greenock.

Anyway, drink finished and into the ground I went. Just like Somerset Park, I was faced with a £15 admission price for a poor excuse of a seating area. The first seat I attempted to sit in was broken and had come loose from the metal structure it had been screwed in to. When I did get a seat that was fit for purpose, I quickly realised I was in for an uncomfortable afternoon. The seats in front of you are far too close for anyone of 6ft plus meaning that every time I moved, my shins scraped along the backrest.

Sore shins aside, the great big pillars right in front (a la Dens Park) meant that you needed to constantly dodge in your seat every time the action moved to that area. It must have just been my bad luck that there seemed to be a lot of play happening directly behind the damned things.

Half time arrived and for the first-time in 2012, Livi were leading – so I thought I’d celebrate the moment with a cheeseburger rather than a pie. It provided me with everything I’d expect from a cheeseburger, y’know, a bun, cheese and a burger all of which tasted pretty good so on those grounds, pass marks there. The flat, fizzy juice wasn’t so good but you can’t expect everything.

Even despite the Lions going on to close out the win, there wasn’t much of an atmosphere. Infact, the most obvious noise of the day came from the collective boos of the home support towards their own goalkeeper. Given the small attendance, I guess a great atmosphere was never really on the cards but I do suspect when the place has more bums on seats, the shed like stands would stir up a decent bit of noise.

So, finally, an away day review that ended in a Livi victory! Next up, The Falkirk Stadium – same again please boys.
Access – 7/10
Admission – 5/10
Pie and Drink – 7/10
Stadium/View – 3/10
Atmosphere – 4/10

Overall – 26/50

No comments:

Post a Comment